AYF Progressive Educational Fund (PEF)
Education and training are fundamental prerequisites for development. Measures implemented in education and training, would be intended to help build up the human capacity, which will enable the countries to achieve sustainable development. The idea therefore is to provide the youth with basic IT and entrepreneaurship knowledge, and above all the practical application which would thus help them directly in living their own lives in Africa.
The Progressive Educational Fund (PEF), provides support for up to three years of formal graduate-level study. Candidates are selected from African countries. Candidates are chosen on the basis of their progressive potential and commitment to community or national service, as well as for academic excellence. Candidates may enrol in first degree or first professional qualification programs and may pursue any academic discipline or field of study that is consistent with the interests and goals of the PEF. Once selected, Candidates may enrol in an appropriate higher education program in Africa. The program strongly encourages PEF alumni to maintain contact with the Foundation after completing the courses to help them remain current in their respective fields through the expansion of PEF network.
Applicants must be resident nationals of an African Country.
Schools interested in this scholarship fund should submit maximum 3 students for sponsorship.
Successful candidates will:
PEF Training Fields
PEF Candidates may choose to study in any academic discipline or field of study related to the African Youth Foundation's three scholarship-making areas, which are:
All applications must be submitted to the AYF office in Germany. Application deadlines are 15. January and 15. July annually. (Please note: Students age should not exceed 32 years. More than one member of the same family cannot be sponsored!). Applications are reviewed and final selections decided by the Scholarship Board. The level and duration of awards are determined as part of the selection process.
Type of Sponsorship
Sponsorship payments will help furnish tuition, books and Information Technology equipment, where possible. The structure of the sponsorship would be such that:
How the system works
- The Scholarship board will meet twice a year for selection. Selection will be done on regional basis to ensure regional balance.
- Institutions in Africa interested in sponsorship for their best students, will provide AYF with profiles of maximum three students for approval.
- A general approval test for the students conducted by Instructors from one of the African Institutions involved will determine the chosen candidates.
- a maximum of 5 students would be taken into consideration per year. (The selection of target group depends on the goal of the program as well as on the available resources.)
- under the guidance of teachers in the chosen institutions, the targeted group will also learn, practice and develop a variety of business skills. The medium to longer term aim being to establish a future entrepreneurial stratum, especially in regions of low income population, which can then help create jobs, build community resources and thus help contribute to the overall national economy;
- there will be workshops organised by the different institutions, lectures and seminars on the different training courses that the grantees are involved in, as well as Mentoring by Diasporan professionals if possible.
- the principles of society leadership would be inculcated into the courses, thus enabling students elect their own office bearers and run their own affairs. Teachers would act purely as facilitators and as a link to AYF , whose members would decide and evaluate the student's progress;
- sponsored students would be required to make presentations to panels from the Donor group, Local Business Institutions (LBI), usually comprising of local business people and the AYF scholarship or advisory board. The individuals whom a panel deems to have satisfied the laid down criteria, receives the "Credit Sticker" for their level of that particular competency to attach to their competency certificate
- progress reports of the sponsored individuals would be made available to the funding organisations and Donors minimum once a year;
- Employers who will engage students from this programme, will be requested to contribute a minimum annual contribution to the Progressive Education Fund (PEF) in the first year of employment of the student, to assist other unfortunate ones to participate in the programme too.
- those who will participate in the programme and successfully "graduate" will be known as "AYF and Partners Alumni".
Please forward the following information:
As email attachment to: info(at)ayf.de
By post to:
AYF , Sebastianstr. 177-179, 53115 Bonn, Germany
Or fax to:
+49 228 92 66 991 or +49 1212 510 323 700.
- Full Curriculum vitae of candidate.
- Applicants specific training programme: (Please give detailed description of…)
- Present training and responsibilities; and
- Future responsibilities after completing the course.
- Proposed programme: Please provide full details of the programme:
- Duration (Begin and End of Term or Semester); and
- Methodology, Degree to be acquired etc.
- Full details of the Training Institution: (Should the candidate be already enrolled)
- Governing authority (state or private);
- Number of staff;
- Other courses offered;
- Type of certificates offered (e.g. diploma, degree) and recognition by government or not; and
- Please enclose a brochure if available.
- Specify the list of expenses:
- Tuition fees;
- Boarding and lodging;
- Medical insurance;
- Personal allowance (pocket money); and
- Travel etc.
- How much can the candidate or the applying institution contribute towards the costs?
- Who will be in charge of supporting the dependent family members? Candidate should please give the family details along with the financial situation of the candidate and his / her family.
This website enables the submission of profiles of best students in African countries to be posted for Africans in the Diaspora, as well as funding institutions, to access and to consider providing a fixed amount of money either annually or monthly, to support with Leadership, Business and Management courses, as well as Information Technology Training in Africa. With Euro 10,- (US$10,-) a month, or Euro 120,- (US$ 120,-) a year, a young person in africa could have an education. The donations will be channelled to the schools directly from the AYF Progressive Educational Fund (PEF).
please send your donations to the following addresses:
1. Using paypal:
2. You could also send your tax deductible cheques out to:
African Youth Foundation
Tel: +49 (0) 228 910 8833
Fax: +49 228 92 66 991
Thanks in Advance!